2017 University of Colorado Chapter of Sigma Xi Undergraduate Research Award
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society is the international honor society of science and engineering. One of the oldest and largest scientific organizations in the world, Sigma Xi has a distinguished history of service to science and society for more than one hundred and twenty-five years. Sigma Xi has a long history of rewarding excellence in scientific research, and encourage a sense of companionship and cooperation among scientists in all fields.
The promotion and support of research and young scientists are considered the society’s greatest tasks. In that spirit, the CU Chapter seeks to recognize undergraduates who have shown promise and achievement particularly in undergraduate research and scholarly work.
The CU Chapter Sigma Xi Undergraduate Research Awardees will receive a Certificate of Award and a graduation ceremony cord at the Annual Awards Reception in April 2017. Awardees will also receive a paid 1st year Sigma Xi student membership that includes the following assets and advantages:
- Access to professional career development tools including an online career networking resource center, consulting, and seminars
- Eligibility for Research funding – Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research (GIAR)
- Access to an international network of the most respected scientists and engineers
- International peer recognition for your career achievements through eBlast Newsletters
- Online version, and article downloads of American Scientist magazine
- Sigma Xi SmartBriefs (daily, free e-newsletter of science in the news)
- Sigma Xi Today newsletter that updates readers on the latest happenings in the Society
- Student eNewsletter and General Membership eNewsletter
- To learn more about Sigma Xi visit www.sigmaxi.org
Application: CU Chapter of Sigma Xi Undergraduate Research Award
The following materials are necessary to apply for the Undergraduate Research Award.
- Eligibility – currently enrolled CU undergraduates conducting research in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Student: Information Form and Essay
- From faculty mentor: Letter of Recommendation
Submit application by 5pm on Friday, March 10th, 2017.
Please address the following points in a personal statement of approximately one page.
- In a brief statement, describe your research project, goals and findings.
- Relate your research and other activities (volunteer work, collaborations) to Sigma Xi’s mission included below.
Mission: to enhance the health of the research enterprise, foster integrity in science and engineering, and promote public understanding of science for the purpose of improving the human condition.
- What is your motivation for doing your research project?
- Discuss the impact of conducting research on your education and personal growth.
- How has your research experience influenced your future goals and aspirations?
Faculty Letter of Recommendation:
Please address the following points in the letter of recommendation.
- Briefly describe the student’s research project, goals and findings.
- Describe this student’s level of originality, creativity, independence and responsibility with regard to the research.
- Why do you think this student should be given a student membership into Sigma Xi?